1. The Society shall be called The Irish Terrier Association.
2. The objects for which the Association is established are: -
3. The Association shall be open to membership to all those who have an interest in Irish Terriers and who pay the Annual Subscription and Joining Fee except those excluded under Rule 7. There will be single, joint and family memberships with full voting rights. New membership applications are subject to approval by the Committee.
4. The Annual Subscription and Joining Fee shall be set by agreement of the members in Annual General Meeting’s and notified to the Kennel Club. Current rates may be obtained from the Honorary Secretary. Subscriptions shall be payable at the date of admission and thereafter on 1st January in each year, but those joining on or after 1st October in any year shall be deemed to have paid the subscription up to 31st December of the following year.
5. No member shall be entitled to be present at or take part in any proceedings or vote at any General Meeting of the Association, or to nominate or to be nominated as a candidate for election to the Committee, or to continue to hold office as a member of the said Committee, if and while he/she is due to the Association of any subscription.
6. Any member whose annual subscription is not paid within twelve (12) months from the date it became payable, will forfeit his/her rights to and benefits of membership until such time as the subscription is paid together with a fresh joining fee.
7. Any member who shall be suspended under Kennel Club Rule A42j(4) and/or any member whose dog(s) is/are disqualified under Kennel Club Rule A42j(8) shall ipso facto cease to be a member of the Association for the duration of the suspension and/or disqualification.
8. If the conduct of any Member shall, in the opinion of the Committee of the Association be injurious or likely to be injurious to the character of interests of the Association, the Committee of the Association may, at a meeting the notice convening which includes as an object the consideration of the conduct of the Member, determine that a Special General Meeting of the Association shall be called for the purpose of passing a resolution to expel him/her.
9. Notice of the Special General Meeting shall be sent to the accused Member, giving particulars of the complaint and advising the place, date and hour of the Meeting that he/she may attend and offer an explanation. If at the Meeting, a resolution to expel is passed by a two-thirds majority of the Members present and voting, his/her name shall thereupon cease for all purposes to be a Member of the Association except that he/she may, within two calendar months from the date of such Meeting appeal to the Kennel Club upon and subject to such condition as the Kennel Club may impose.
10. The Association shall be managed by the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Honorary Secretary, Treasurer and Committee of not more than five excluding the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Honorary Secretary, Treasurer and who shall be ex-officio members of the committee. The Association shall have a President.
11. The Officers and Committee members shall be elected annually by ballot or show of hands at the Annual General Meeting but, if it is found impossible to hold the General Meeting as below provided for, the existing incumbents shall remain in Office until such meeting takes place. The Committee shall have power to fill any vacancy for an officer or committee member until such time as the Annual General meeting takes place.
12. A member of the Committee shall vacate office if he/she:
13. The Committee, one of whom shall be an elected Officer of the Association, shall conduct the business of the Association at meetings, notice of which shall be sent to all Committee Members at least ten (10) days in advance and a quorum of which shall be five (5).
14. Decisions shall be by a majority of votes with each member and Officer present, except the Chairman, being entitled to one vote but in the event of an equality of votes, the Chairman of the meeting shall have a casting vote. Should urgent business arise which cannot await a formal meeting, the Honorary Secretary may obtain a decision by correspondence with all Committee members, the approval of a majority of Committee members being required
15. The Committee shall elect Judges for any of the Association’s Shows either by a show of hands, by secret ballot or by email. Members may nominate persons for inclusion on the Approved Judges List to be balloted in Committee. Any person wishing to be included on the Judges List should forward a completed application form with their CV to the Secretary, who will put such application form & CV before the Judges Sub Committee for consideration and allocation to subsequent list.
16. The financial year of the Association shall end on 31st December in each year.
17. Such Banking Accounts as may be considered necessary by the Committee shall be opened in the name of the Association and to which shall be credited all revenue. Withdrawals shall be made only on the signatures of two of three officers who shall be nominated by the committee.
18. The accounts will be certified annually and presented to the members at the A.G.M. Members may request a copy 14 days prior to the A.G.M.
19. The Annual General Meeting of the Association shall be held at such time before the end of June each year and at such venue as the Committee shall determine.
20. At least fourteen (14) days’ notice specifying the place and the time of any General Meeting, and in the case of special business, nature of the business, shall be given to each member of the Association.
21. No business shall be transacted at an Annual General Meeting unless notice thereof appears on the agenda with the exception of any other business which in the opinion of the Chairman of the meeting is urgent. All notices to be placed on the agenda must reach the Honorary Secretary at least seven (7) days prior to the meeting.
22. Special General Meetings may be called at any time by the Committee or by requisition in writing to the Honorary Secretary signed by at least ten (10) members stating the nature of the business to be transacted. No business other than that named in the notice shall be brought before a Special General Meeting.
23. At each Annual or Special General Meeting, the Chairman, failing whom the Vice-Chairman, shall, if willing and if present within fifteen minutes after the time appointed for holding the meeting, take the chair otherwise the members present shall elect a Chairman to preside at that meeting only.
24. The quorum of members present and entitled to vote at the General Meeting shall be fifteen (15).
25. Each member present, except the Chairman, shall be entitled to one vote at a General Meeting, but, in the event of an equality of votes, the Chairman of the Meeting shall have a casting vote.
26. An Auditor shall be elected or re-elected annually at a General Meeting.
27. All trophies awarded to the Association shall be deemed to be the sole property of the Association and shall not be accepted under any other condition.
28. All the Association’s trophies shall be put up for competition annually but shall be retained by the Committee.
29. Only duly paid-up members of the Association shall be eligible to compete for the trophies.
30. The Rules of the Association, which shall form the basis of membership, may be altered by a majority of two-thirds of the members entitled to vote and present at a General Meeting, notice of which includes details of the proposal to alter the Rules. Such alterations shall not be brought into force until the Kennel Club has been advised and has given its approval of the alterations.
31. The property of the Association shall be vested in the Committee.
32. In the event of the Association ceasing to exist and after any outstanding debts have been paid, any assets that remain shall not be distributed amongst the members but shall be given or transferred to some other organisation or organisations having Objects similar to the Objects of the Association and whose Rules prohibit the distribution of assets amongst the members, such Organisation to be determined by the Members of the Association at the time of dissolution. If effect cannot be given to those provisions the assets shall be given to Kennel Club to be held for the benefit of Irish Terriers.
33. If the Association is wound up or ceases to be a Registered Society under Kennel Club Regulations, a final statement of audited accounts with a record of the disposal of the property of the Association shall be forwarded to the Kennel Club within six (6) months and the persons named as Officers and Committee of the Association on the last return furnished to the Kennel Club will be held responsible by the Kennel Club for the proper winding-up of the Association.
34. The officers of the Association acknowledge that, during the month of January each year, Maintenance of Title fee will be forwarded to the Kennel Club by the Honorary Secretary for continuance of Registration. That by 31st July each year, other returns, as stipulated in Kennel Club Regulations for the Registration and maintenance of Title Societies and Breed Councils and the Affiliation of Agricultural Societies and Municipal Authorities, will be forwarded to the Kennel Club of any change of Secretary of the Association which may occur during the course of the year.
35. The Kennel Club is the final authority for interpreting the rules and Regulations of the Association and in all cases, relative to Canine or Association matters.
36. The Association shall not join any Federation of Societies or Clubs.
37. No person whilst an undischarged bankrupt may serve on the Committee or hold any other office appointment with a Kennel Club Registered Society.